A loved one’s passing due to someone else’s neglectful actions likely means you are looking for a wrongful death lawyer Las Vegas, NV recommends. When this is the case, you know you can come to the team at Eglet Adams. Many Nevada families have relied on us over the years to help them as they grieve the loss of their loved ones and try to get the compensation they deserve.
In the United States, approximately 37 million people are harmed unintentionally, each year. Several thousand of these people will lose their life. When negligence, wrongdoing, or carelessness is a factor, the family members may have the right to recover damages through a wrongful death claim.
Losing a loved one to the negligent actions of another person can be devastating. Often, feelings of confusion and lack of confidence can cloud their judgment, making them prone to hasty decisions. This can lead to a failure to take legal action, or accepting a quick offer from the insurance company – both of which can result in lost compensation.
Although it might feel difficult to pursue any legal action after losing a loved one, it is recommended. The sooner this is done, the better. If you are ready to take these steps, call a wrongful death lawyer Las Vegas, NV knows and trusts.
If you lost a loved one, and believe negligence was a factor, please call The Law Office of Eglet Adams. We offer you our utmost condolences and want you to know that we stand by to support you legally, and emotionally. Right now you may be struggling with loss, but also things that come with loss; such as estate matters, unpaid bills, lost wages, hospital costs, funeral costs, and more. By hiring a wrongful death lawyer in Las Vegas, NV, we can help you with many of these issues.
Many people are unsure of why a person or family would want to file a wrongful death lawsuit. If their loved one has passed away and someone did it through negligence instead of intentionally trying to harm them, what can the family aim to get? When your loved one passes away no matter the circumstances, there is a very large void, some of this comes in the form of income they brought in and the love and companionship they provided. These are some of the things we would file a wrongful death lawsuit for.
Common Types of Wrongful Death Cases
Wrongful deaths can be caused by a variety of different situations. Here are some of the most common types of wrongful death cases:
- Car Accidents: Car collisions account for a large percentage of wrongful death cases. The faster the car is going, the bigger chance the accident will result in fatalities. Most vehicle accidents that result in fatalities are due to driver negligence. If a driver is speeding, drunk driving, fatigued, or acting in another negligent way and causes a fatal accident, he or she may be held liable.
- Work Accidents: When people go to work, they do not expect to get injured, or worse, get killed. Unfortunately, fatal work accidents do occur. These types of accidents are more common in factories and construction sites where heavy machinery is used. For example, if a worker gets entangled in a machine or falls from a ladder, it can have deadly consequences.
- Truck Accidents: Accidents with commercial trucks can result in fatalities. These trucks are so much larger and heavier than standard vehicles, so they can cause serious damage to anything they hit. Truck accident victims can endure traumatic brain injuries, severe burns, and other fatal injuries. The most common causes of truck accidents include driver fatigue, speeding, driver distraction, and driving with an oversized load.
- Defective Products: Product manufacturers are responsible for making sure their products are safe for the public to use. Unfortunately, however, there are still some products that are defective and can result in death. Several types of products can result in fatalities if they are defective, such as pharmaceutical products, cars, and children’s products.
- Medical Malpractice: When you go to the hospital or doctor’s office, you expect to come out feeling better. However, it does not always work out that way. Although most doctors are skilled and competent, mistakes can still happen. Common types of medical malpractice that can cause death include surgical errors, misdiagnosis, medication errors and anesthesia errors.
- Bike and Motorcycle Accidents: Bicyclists and motorcycle riders are more likely to be killed during vehicle accidents because they don’t have the protection that motorists due. Many times, bicyclists and motorcycle riders have been killed due to driver negligence.
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Property owners are responsible for making sure their premises are free from hazards. Otherwise, people walking by can slip and fall and endure fatal injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries. For example, if a homeowner neglected to put ice on his or her icy sidewalk and a pedestrian fell and died, that homeowner would be held liable for the damages.
Tips to Help You Choose the Right Lawyer
It is important to choose a wrongful death lawyer who has experience in handling these particular cases. Some tips to helping you choose the right lawyer, include:
The Firm’s Reputation – To help you find a leading wrongful death lawyer in Las Vegas, Nevada, you should review the reputation of the firm and/or the lawyer. Asking for recommendations from people you know is not a bad start; however, you should search online for reviews. What you find will likely point you in the right direction.
Schedule a Consultation – Once you have found a firm that appears to meet your needs, schedule a consultation or case review. You might even decide to pick two or three firms that stand out. Use this opportunity to get a feel for the firm and lawyer, their experience, legal style, and so forth. You can ask questions or address any specific concerns that you have.
Their Fees – Most wrongful death lawyers handle these cases on contingency. This means you won’t have any upfront charges. That said, some firms will ask for an initial retaining fee. You should consider this before you sign any contract.
Filing a wrongful death claim won’t bring back your loved one; however, it may help you to recover compensation that can be used towards bills, expenses, your children’s college, and more. For many people, these claims provide a sense of closure. If you would like to learn more about the process and whether or not you should take legal action, please call The Law Office of Eglet Adams.
How Do I Prepare for a Consultation?
Preparing for a legal consultation in the wake of profound loss can feel overwhelming. Too often, the families of those who have lost their lives due to another’s negligence, recklessness, or intentional behavior are so overwhelmed that they avoid speaking with an attorney for weeks, months, or even years. While this response to tragedy is completely understandable, it’s important to schedule your consultation with the experienced Las Vegas, Nevada legal team at Eglet Adams as soon as you possibly can. There are two primary reasons why you need to act quickly. First, the law only grants the families of wrongful death victims so long to file a legal claim. If you wait too long, you may be barred from seeking compensation. Second, the strength of your case may be dependent on evidence that could potentially become compromised over time. Acting quickly better ensures that your case remains as strong as it can possibly be.
When preparing for your consultation, gather any documents that you think might help us understand the circumstances surrounding the passing of your loved one. If a police report, accident report, work injury report, or any other kind of official or unofficial report was filed in the wake of your loved one’s accident or manifestation of symptoms, please bring a copy of that report with you to your consultation. Additionally, if you have access to any medical records relevant to diagnosis and treatment of your loved one’s injuries, please bring these as well. If your loved one died in an accident and there were witnesses to that accident, please bring their names and contact information. Finally, any photos, videos, or other relevant documentation that you think might help us assess your case fully should be brought along to the consultation as well.
Please note that if you have questions about your legal options, seeking compensation, or our approach to representation, you should absolutely write those questions down and bring them with you to our initial meeting. We want to make sure that you leave our office feeling empowered to make an informed decision about your legal situation. It can be very helpful to write your questions down instead of relying on your memory during a consultation. That way, you can be assured that we will address every one of your concerns.
What if I’m Unsure of Whether I Have Grounds for Legal Action?
You don’t need to have “all the answers” when you walk into our office. Understanding the ins and outs of the law is our job. Once we learn about your loved one’s situation, we’ll advise of your options accordingly. With that said, to pursue legal action, your loved one generally must have passed away as a result of injuries caused by someone else. That “someone” could be an individual, a corporation, a municipality, a small business owner, etc. If we can establish that the party that caused your loved one harm owed your loved one a so-called “duty of care,” breached that duty, and your loved one was injured as a direct result of that breach, you’ll have grounds for a strong case.
Fatal Bike Accidents
When sharing Las Vegas, NV roads with taxicabs, cars, buses, trains, commercial trucks, bicycles, and motorcycles, everyone who is controlling one of these vehicles is responsible for driving carefully and ensuring the safety of others. The duty of care for which each vehicle is responsible depends largely on the type of vehicle, whether the vehicle is privately or publicly owned, and the type and amount of damage that can be caused.
Fatal Bicyclist Accident Statistics
Each year, there are almost 1,000 victims killed in bike accidents in this country, and each year, that number increases. The majority of these accidents – 70 percent – occur in urban areas. About 60 percent of fatal bike accidents do not occur at intersections, 30 percent of bike accidents do. And approximately five percent occur in bike lanes.
Most fatal bike accidents occur during the day – 51 percent. The time of day when fatal bike accidents happen is between the hours of 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. This is especially true during the winter months of December, January, and February.
The average age of victims killed in bike accidents is over 46. This average age has also increased each year. The majority of fatal bike accident victims are males. The rate for males killed in bike accidents is almost six times higher than for females. Children under the age of 15 account for almost 10 percent of all bike accident victims killed.
Rules of the Road to Stay Safe
Bicyclists should always be aware and heed the rules of the road in order to reduce their risk of being killed in a bike accident. Some of these rules include:
- Bikes are restricted from using sidewalks in many municipalities, although it is not a state law in Nevada.
- Some Nevada highways are open to bikers and others are not. Highways that are off limit to cyclists will have signs warning bikers to exit.
- At least one hand must be on the handlebars at all times, including when the bicyclist is carrying a package
- Bicyclists must use hand signals before they can turn left or right
Traffic rules and regulations were created primarily to protect bicyclists as they are in a more precarious situation than motor vehicles; however, bicyclists owe a duty of care to anyone with whom they share the road, whether pedestrians, motor vehicles, buses, or other vehicles.
If you have lost a loved one in a fatal bike accident, contact The Law Office of Eglet Adams to speak with a Las Vegas, NV wrongful death lawyer to find out what legal recourse you may have.