A loved one’s passing due to someone else’s neglectful actions likely means you are looking for a wrongful death lawyer Las Vegas, NV recommends. When this is the case, you know you can come to the team at Eglet Adams. Many Nevada families have relied on us over the years to help them as they grieve the loss of their loved ones and try to get the compensation they deserve.
In the United States, approximately 37 million people are harmed unintentionally, each year. Several thousand of these people will lose their life. When negligence, wrongdoing, or carelessness is a factor, the family members may have the right to recover damages through a wrongful death claim.
Losing a loved one to the negligent actions of another person can be devastating. Often, feelings of confusion and lack of confidence can cloud their judgment, making them prone to hasty decisions. This can lead to a failure to take legal action, or accepting a quick offer from the insurance company – both of which can result in lost compensation.
Although it might feel difficult to pursue any legal action after losing a loved one, it is recommended. The sooner this is done, the better. If you are ready to take these steps, call a wrongful death lawyer Las Vegas, NV knows and trusts.
If you lost a loved one, and believe negligence was a factor, please call The Law Office of Eglet Adams. We offer you our utmost condolences and want you to know that we stand by to support you legally, and emotionally. Right now you may be struggling with loss, but also things that come with loss; such as estate matters, unpaid bills, lost wages, hospital costs, funeral costs, and more. By hiring a wrongful death lawyer in Las Vegas, NV, we can help you with many of these issues.
Many people are unsure of why a person or family would want to file a wrongful death lawsuit. If their loved one has passed away and someone did it through negligence instead of intentionally trying to harm them, what can the family aim to get? Our Las Vegas wrongful death lawyer knows that when your loved one passes away no matter the circumstances, there is a very large void, some of this comes in the form of income they brought in and the love and companionship they provided. These are some of the things we would file a wrongful death lawsuit for.
What kind of damages can come with a wrongful death lawsuit?
As noted above, one of the main reasons our wrongful death lawyer in Las Vegas, Nevada sees loved ones filing wrongful death lawsuits is because the person who died brought in a large source of income for their family. This means without them, a family may be unable to pay their mortgage, the bills, or even put food on the table.
Another way a wrongful death lawsuit can help you is with the funeral and burial costs. Our Las Vegas, NV wrongful death lawyer has seen it too many times: if you have not been around death before, you may think that insurance automatically covers items like funeral and a burial cost. In some cases, a person may have it written in their will that some of their money will go to pay for these costs but it is not always so. If you win a wrongful death lawsuit, you can ask for damages to help cover these costs so that you can honor your loved one during their funeral.
We understand that the pain you are going through right now may feel like it will never end. However, we want you to know that when it comes to the legal matters of your loved one’s passing, we are here. To speak with a trusted wrongful death lawyer in Las Vegas, NV, call the team at Eglet Adams.
Common Types of Wrongful Death Cases
Wrongful deaths can be caused by a variety of different situations. Here are some of the most common types of wrongful death cases a wrongful death lawyer Las Vegas, NV residents trusts sees:
- Car Accidents: Car collisions account for a large percentage of wrongful death cases. The faster the car is going, the bigger chance the accident will result in fatalities. Most vehicle accidents that result in fatalities are due to driver negligence. If a driver is speeding, drunk driving, fatigued, or acting in another negligent way and causes a fatal accident, he or she may be held liable.
- Work Accidents: When people go to work, they do not expect to get injured, or worse, get killed. Unfortunately, fatal work accidents do occur. These types of accidents are more common in factories and construction sites where heavy machinery is used. For example, if a worker gets entangled in a machine or falls from a ladder, it can have deadly consequences.
- Truck Accidents: As a wrongful death lawyer in Las Vegas, NV can confirm, accidents with commercial trucks can result in fatalities. These trucks are so much larger and heavier than standard vehicles, so they can cause serious damage to anything they hit. Truck accident victims can endure traumatic brain injuries, severe burns, and other fatal injuries. The most common causes of truck accidents include driver fatigue, speeding, driver distraction, and driving with an oversized load.
- Defective Products: Product manufacturers are responsible for making sure their products are safe for the public to use. Unfortunately, however, there are still some products that are defective and can result in death. Several types of products can result in fatalities if they are defective, such as pharmaceutical products, cars, and children’s products.
- Medical Malpractice: When you go to the hospital or doctor’s office, you expect to come out feeling better. However, it does not always work out that way. Although most doctors are skilled and competent, mistakes can still happen. Common types of medical malpractice that can cause death include surgical errors, misdiagnosis, medication errors and anesthesia errors.
- Bike and Motorcycle Accidents: Bicyclists and motorcycle riders are more likely to be killed during vehicle accidents because they don’t have the protection that motorists due. Many times, bicyclists and motorcycle riders have been killed due to driver negligence.
- Slip and Fall Accidents: As a wrongful death lawyer in Las Vegas, NV can attest, property owners are responsible for making sure their premises are free from hazards. Otherwise, people walking by can slip and fall and endure fatal injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries. For example, if a homeowner neglected to put ice on his or her icy sidewalk and a pedestrian fell and died, that homeowner would be held liable for the damages.
Tips to Help You Choose the Right Lawyer
It is important to choose a wrongful death lawyer who has experience in handling these particular cases. Some tips to helping you choose the right lawyer, include:
The Firm’s Reputation – To help you find a leading wrongful death lawyer in Las Vegas, Nevada, you should review the reputation of the firm and/or the lawyer. Asking for recommendations from people you know is not a bad start; however, you should search online for reviews. What you find will likely point you in the right direction.
Schedule a Consultation – Once you have found a firm that appears to meet your needs, schedule a consultation or case review. You might even decide to pick two or three firms that stand out. Use this opportunity to get a feel for the firm and lawyer, their experience, legal style, and so forth. You can ask questions or address any specific concerns that you have.
Their Fees – Most wrongful death lawyers handle these cases on contingency. This means you won’t have any upfront charges. That said, some firms will ask for an initial retaining fee. You should consider this before you sign any contract.
Filing a wrongful death claim won’t bring back your loved one; however, it may help you to recover compensation that can be used towards bills, expenses, your children’s college, and more. For many people, these claims provide a sense of closure. If you would like to learn more about the process and whether or not you should take legal action, please call The Law Office of Eglet Adams.
Fatal Bike Accidents
When sharing Las Vegas, NV roads with taxicabs, cars, buses, trains, commercial trucks, bicycles, and motorcycles, everyone who is controlling one of these vehicles is responsible for driving carefully and ensuring the safety of others. The duty of care for which each vehicle is responsible depends largely on the type of vehicle, whether the vehicle is privately or publicly owned, and the type and amount of damage that can be caused. A wrongful death lawyer Las Vegas, NV clients trust knows that bicycles and motorcycles are on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to the responsibility to others while being operated on Las Vegas streets. Though their duty to others is lower than that of cars, buses, trains, and trucks, Las Vegas still has significant traffic rules and regulations that bicyclists and motorcyclists must obey in order for them to operate safely.
Fatal Bicyclist Accident Statistics
Each year, there are almost 1,000 victims killed in bike accidents in this country, and each year, that number increases. The majority of these accidents – 70 percent – occur in urban areas. About 60 percent of fatal bike accidents do not occur at intersections, 30 percent of bike accidents do. And approximately five percent occur in bike lanes.
Most fatal bike accidents occur during the day – 51 percent. The time of day when fatal bike accidents happen is between the hours of 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. This is especially true during the winter months of December, January, and February.
The average age of victims killed in bike accidents is over 46. This average age has also increased each year. The majority of fatal bike accident victims are males. The rate for males killed in bike accidents is almost six times higher than for females. Children under the age of 15 account for almost 10 percent of all bike accident victims killed.
Rules of the Road to Stay Safe
A wrongful death lawyer in Las Vegas, NV knows that bicyclists should always be aware and heed the rules of the road in order to reduce their risk of being killed in a bike accident. Some of these rules include:
- Bikes are restricted from using sidewalks in many municipalities, although it is not a state law in Nevada.
- Some Nevada highways are open to bikers and others are not. Highways that are off limit to cyclists will have signs warning bikers to exit.
- At least one hand must be on the handlebars at all times, including when the bicyclist is carrying a package
- Bicyclists must use hand signals before they can turn left or right
Traffic rules and regulations were created primarily to protect bicyclists as they are in a more precarious situation than motor vehicles; however, bicyclists owe a duty of care to anyone with whom they share the road, whether pedestrians, motor vehicles, buses, or other vehicles.
If you have lost a loved one in a fatal bike accident, contact The Law Office of Eglet Adams to speak with a Las Vegas, NV wrongful death lawyer to find out what legal recourse you may have.