Your Las Vegas Bike Accident Attorney
If you were injured in a bike accident, you should consult a bike accident lawyer Las Vegas, NV, residents trust. Bike accidents can result in serious injuries and costly medical bills. You deserve to be compensated for what you’ve been through.
Common Bike Accident Myths
Numerous accidents involving bikes occur every year in the U.S., but there are still many myths about them. Believing these can cause some people to miss out on the compensation they deserve. Here are a few common bike accident myths:
- Most Bike Accidents are Caused by Bicyclists: Although bicyclists are to blame for some bike accidents, the majority of these accidents are caused by negligent drivers. If drivers are speeding, fatigued, texting, or behaving in another negligent way, they are in danger of hitting bicyclists.
- It is Safer for Bicyclists to Ride on the Sidewalks: Some bicyclists mistakenly believe that it is less hazardous to ride on sidewalks. However, the state of Nevada prohibits this, and since motorists do not expect bicyclists to ride on the sidewalk they might not keep an eye out for them at intersections.
- Bicyclists do Not Follow the Rules of the Road: Another common misconception a bike accident lawyer in Las Vegas, NV, hears is that bicyclists disobey traffic laws all the time. The truth is that the majority of bicyclists adhere to the rules of the road, including stopping at red lights and not riding on sidewalks, to prevent accidents.
- Bicyclists Should Ride Facing Traffic: Bicyclists who ride facing traffic are actually at a greater risk of accidents. Instead, they should ride with the flow of traffic so that they will be more visible to motorists.
- It’s Not Necessary to Wear a Helmet Every Time: Some bicyclists falsely assume that they only need to wear a helmet when they’re riding on a busy street. However, accidents can still happen on residential roads with very little traffic. It is important for bicyclists to wear helmets at all times to reduce the risk of head injuries in the event of an accident.
3 Steps to Take After a Bike Accident in Las Vegas
Even if you do not seem to be seriously injured following your bike accident, you may be shocked and bewildered. Eventually, you will probably want to call a bike accident lawyer in Las Vegas, NV, at Eglet Adams Law, but there are a couple of other things you need to do at the scene before you can make that call. Here are some important steps to take in the immediate aftermath.
1. Call 911
There are two very good reasons you should summon emergency services after a bicycle accident. If you are seriously injured, calling 911 allows you to summon an ambulance to the scene to provide medical attention. Even if you do not think you are hurt, calling 911 allows you to file a report with the police when they arrive. This may provide crucial evidence that your bike accident lawyer in Las Vegas, NV, can use to your benefit while negotiating a settlement or arguing your case in court. The quickest and easiest way to summon police to the scene of the accident is to call 911 rather than attempting to dial the non-emergency number.
2. Get Off the Road if Possible
If you were not injured in the accident, or if your injuries seem to be relatively minor, you should try to get off the road to a safe area out of the way of traffic. Otherwise, the driver of another vehicle may not see you in the road and you could get hit again. However, if you have symptoms that impede your ability to move, such as severe dizziness or paralysis, stay where you are. These are possible symptoms of a traumatic brain injury or spinal cord injury. Any attempts on your part to move may make it worse.
3. Gather as Much Information as You Can
Ask the driver of the vehicle for his or her contact information, or ask a bystander to do it if you are too badly hurt. Don’t press the issue if the driver does not comply. Instead, record the license plate number on a piece of paper or take a picture of it with your phone if you happen to have it with you. Take pictures of any visible injuries you sustain as well as damage to your bike. Even if you cannot collect all the information you want, whatever you can collect can be valuable to you later as evidence to support your case with the help of a bike accident lawyer in Las Vegas, NV, from Eglet Adams Law.
How to Prepare for Your Initial Meeting with a Bike Accident Lawyer
When you’re getting ready to meet your bike accident lawyer in Las Vegas, NV, for the first time, there are a few things you should do to prepare. A little preparation can go a long way toward making that first appointment go smoothly and quickly. Here’s how to get ready for your meeting with one of the bike accident lawyers at Eglet Adams.
Create a List of Questions in Advance
It isn’t unusual for clients to have a lot of questions on their minds before they meet with us. Unfortunately, it’s easy to forget those questions unless you write them down in advance. That’s why we recommend taking 10-15 minutes in the days or hours leading up to your meeting with us to write down any questions, such as how much we charge and possible time requirements that come to mind about your case.
Be Prepared to Answer Questions About Your Case and Medical History
When you meet with a bike accident lawyer in Las Vegas, NV, for the first time, be prepared to answer a lot of questions about your case and your medical history. Questions may include the extent of your injury, any financial losses associated with your injury, your medical history, financial status, and more. Your lawyer needs to understand as much as possible about you and your situation to build a case.
Bring All Documents Associated with the Case
If you have an accident report, insurance information, and any other documentation relevant to your case, bring it with you when you visit Eglet Adams Law. We can review your documents and use them to understand the details of your case better. The more we understand about your case, the easier it will be for us to prepare effectively and get ready to represent you.
Know What You’re Looking for in a Bike Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas, NV
If you have any specific expectations about the qualities you want your bike accident lawyer to have, be sure to keep them in mind when selecting the right attorney. This will help you save time when looking for an attorney that will be an ideal fit for your case. For example, do you want an attorney with a minimum number of years on the job? Do you want an attorney who has successfully won a certain amount of bike accident cases? Knowing what you’re looking for will help you find it when the time comes to find legal representation.
What to Do If You Were Injured in a Bike Accident
If you were injured in a bike accident caused by a motorist, you may be entitled to compensation. It’s important to speak to a bicycle accident lawyer Las Vegas, NV, residents count on about your legal options. A lawyer can help you file a claim in a timely manner, gather evidence, locate witnesses and negotiate with insurance companies. When you have a skilled lawyer on your side, you can feel much better about your situation and experience a lot less stress.
If you sustained injuries in a bike accident, you should schedule a free consultation with a bike accident lawyer in Las Vegas, NV, as soon as possible.