Motorcyclists who have been hurt in an accident due to negligence by another driver deserve compensation. Many lawyers are skilled at negotiating with insurance companies and taking cases to court if that’s what’s needed to bring our clients justice.
As with any vehicle accident, a number of factors may be at play in a motorcycle crash. Often though, the driver of the four wheeled vehicle may be at fault. Here are some common circumstances we see in motorcycle crashes:
- Negligence: this may include failure to yield or failure to look before turning or merging.
- Drunk driving: for any driver, operating a vehicle while impaired or under the influence can be deadly.
- Distracted driving: this includes texting or talking on your phone, looking at social media, viewing GPS directions or eating and drinking.
- Drowsy driving: this contributes to about 10 percent of all motor vehicle related crashes, according to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety.
Compensation that can be Recovered
A reputable law firm will fight to ensure you receive the full compensation you are eligible for. This may include:
- Pain and suffering: the injuries you have suffered are likely causing you great pain and discomfort. Monetary damages may be awarded for this physical and emotional stress.
- Loss of companionship: not only may your relationships be suffering from the effects of your accident, but your entire quality of life may be forever changed. All because of someone else’s mistake.
- Medical expenses - past, present and future: many victims underestimate future medical costs. It’s not just about the bills sitting on your kitchen table. It’s also about the potential thousands of dollars ahead of you for additional treatments.
- Rehabilitation costs: again, victims may underestimate, or entirely miss, these costs. This can include costs of skilled nursing facilities if you are unable to return home immediately and/or costs of physical and occupational therapy to restore full range of motion.
- Lost wages: this includes not only current days missed from work, but future as well. Undergoing all of the treatments we have just listed may mean even more time out of the office.
Why work with a lawyer
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, the insurance company for the at fault driver will immediately attempt to get you to settle. It may be easy for this offer to seem appealing and deserving. However, these offers are often the opposite. They likely do not consider all of the ways this crash is currently affecting you and how your injuries will shape your future.
Many law firms will first consult with you for free. It won’t cost you anything to have a motorcycle accident lawyer in Washington, D.C., assess your case and see how we can represent you.
During our process, we will interview witnesses, gather evidence, review your medical records, consult with expert witnesses, and handle all of the insurance and court filings that are necessary.
Putting you and your family first means getting representation from a skilled legal firm. When you didn’t cause the accident, you shouldn’t have to pay for it.
Thanks to Cohen & Cohen, P.C., for their insight into motorcycle accidents.