Sexual Assault Lawyer Las Vegas, NV
Eglet Adams: Helping Victims of a Sexual Assault for Years
In the last decade, sexual assault crimes have increased by at least 16% while all other violent crime has decreased. It is estimated that between 35 and 45 percent of women have been, or will be, sexually assaulted (not only including rape) at some point in their life. One in 5 women and 1 in 71 men report being raped. Often, the perpetrator is known to the victim, and is not a stranger. For example, a health care provider might sexually assault a patient. Unfortunately, approximately 60 percent of sexual assaults are never reported. This is largely due to shame, fear, and stigma as being a victim of a sexual assault.
If you have been sexually assaulted, you should know there are civil laws that entitle you to compensation. Call a sexual assault lawyer in Las Vegas, NV to learn more now.
What is Sexual Assault?
Sexual assault is a broad umbrella term. It describes battery, harassment, coercion, stalking, and rape. It can be physical, spoken, and include threats. In general, any non-consensual or unwanted sexual conduct can be considered a sexual assault. The defination of sexual assault varies by state; however, is a crime of some sort in every state. The offender will very likely be prosecuted and can face time in jail or prison.
The victim can usually seek damages through civil action; however, many are unaware of this because they were not told. As a sexual assault lawyer in Las Vegas, NV, we know too many women, men, and children who were assaulted, but did not take legal action in time. The statute of limitations ran out; thus, they were unable to recover compensation for what happened. Sadly, this is a very common occurrence in the United States, and has led to an outpour of criticism by organisations, the media, and victims. Please, do not delay in getting started. Call a Las Vegas, Nevada sexual assault lawyer from Eglet Adams to explore your rights and options.
Types of Sexual Assault
Sexual assault can have a numbr of physucal, mental, and emotional consequences. There are many types of sexual assaults that a victim may recover economic and non-economic damages for, including:
- Spousal rape
- Rape under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Sexual harassment
- Sexual coercion
- Domestic sexual abuse
Even if the defendant is facing criminal charges, the victim can file a civil lawsuit against the attacker.
What to Do After a Sexual Assault
Most victims of a sexual assault will feel ashamed and fearful. Coming forward takes an enormous amount of strength and courage. By taking the right steps after the assault, justice can be sought and the healing process can begin.
- Report what happened. – Victims can call 911, go to their emergency room, or call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at (800) 656- HOPE.
- Get Medical Attention – In some cases, the victim should see a doctor for an evaluation.
- Talk with Someone – Sexual assaults can be psychologically damming. It is recommended that victims see a therapist, counsellor, or psychologist for help.
- Call a Sexual Assault Lawyer in Las Vegas, NV – The criminal justice system acts as just one avenue of legal recourse for victims. The other is through the civil court system. Claims may be filed against the perpetrator or any negligent parties involved, such as a university or shopping mall on the grounds of negligent security.
If you have been sexually assaulted, we, at Eglet Adams are here for you. Please contact our sexual assault lawyers Las Vegas, NV residents recommend to explore your options.
“Eglet Prince is a firm that does all they can to give their clients the best experience. Having a case can be slow and stressful process but they keep you informed every step of the way. “